"Earlier this week, Helldivers 2 players on PC were told that they'd soon need to link their Steam account to a PlayStation Network (PSN) account. Two days later and the game has received 100,000 new negative reviews on Steam.

What's more, developers at Arrowhead have made several statements to say that they're on the players' side.

"Ouch, right in the review score," tweeted Arrowhead game Studio's CEO and creative director Johan Pilestedt. "Well, I guess it's warranted. Sorry everyone for how this all transpired. I hope we will make it up and regain the trust by providing a continued great game experience. I just want to make great games!"

When Pilestedt made that comment yesterday, Helldivers 2 still had a 'Mostly Positive' user review rating on Steam, with a 'Mixed' rating based on reviews just from the past two weeks. As of the time of writing this post, the overall rating is now Mixed - indicating only 59% positive reviews - and recent reviews are Mostly Negative.

Internal discussions are ongoing about the mandatory linking change and while I can't reveal details, the response from our dev teams has been pretty universally negative and we're looking for better options," wrote Arrowhead community manager Spitz on the Helldivers Discord (as shared by Reddit user Navar4477).

Spitz also said that the decision and announcement were carried out by Sony, not by Arrowhead themselves.

Players object to the requirement to link their PSN accounts for a range of reasons, from the basic inconvenience to more general data collection and privacy concerns. The change is of particular concern to those players in regions where it's not possible to sign-up for a PSN account. An earlier comment from Arrowhead had suggested that such players should sign-up to PSN for a region other than that which they reside, but doing so would actually breach Sony's own terms of service.

"If a better solution isn't provided for players who are in regions without PSN coverage, I'm assured that we won't be making the requirement mandatory for those players," wrote Spitz. "We're not going to force people to either break Sony TOS or not play the game."

Sony have brought more and more of their games to PC in recent years, typically years after their initial console exclusive release. Helldivers 2 is a little different, in that they're publishing the game and it's developed by a third-party studio they don't own, and it was released on PC and PlayStation platforms simultaneously. That cross-platform release is part of why it has been such a huge success; it's reportedly the seventh highest grossing Sony published game of all time, with more than half its sales on PC. It's also just a great game.

All of which makes it a real big dumb shame that the experience is being tarnished for players by an unnecessary account requirement."

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/helldivers-2-has-received-100000-negative-reviews-since-announcing-players-must-link-steam-to-a-psn-account

https://store.steampowered.com/app/553850/HELLDIVERS_2/

1 week ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Thats why i buy old games atleast 1 year old. New region restriction destroyed the game. Its allowed in my country but i am busy playing cs2 xdd.

1 week ago

Fuck around and find out

1 week ago

Looks like it now sits at 47% positive reviews. I was not familiar with the game but seems like the kind of thing that will go F2P someday anyway.

Feel bad for the devs that just want to make a game and get forced to do things like this by management.

1 week ago

It had a huge success, there is no freakin way It will go F2P. People still play and buy the first one.

1 week ago

Rocket League was still selling strong before turning F2P. Down the line it's possible, like H1Z1, PubG and others. Just not soon ofc.

1 week ago

Well, the first one is nearly 9 years and still no F2P. It has a ton of DLC though. This one is still strong on Twitch which is something weird there.
It would be terrible if they go that way (cosmetics, crates, etc). First one has a bit of pay to win but It's not like It affects that much, because you need to cooperate or die.
I'm glad Sony backpedal on this matter. Nobody likes to log in to something else.

1 week ago

a little late to the party
https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/3tZNS/aaaannnnd-the-award-for-most-clown-awards-farmed-in-one-day-goes-to
reports of people with over 100+ hours of gameplay getting refunds.
depending on where you live the countries laws will back your refund. obviously not in usa....

1 week ago*

Well it helps if it had a proper subject title just pointing anyway to helldivers 2 or sony in general.

1 week ago

LOL nice. Can you please link me one of those reports? I want to share it with a friend.

1 week ago

not sure if i can find them again. i would search the steam forums. if they wernt deleted should be there somewhere
i made sure to check both users who had reported it and they had legit steam users accounts

1 week ago

ok, fair enough and never mind then. Thank you.

1 week ago

made another attempt to search today
just too much stuff on the forums now about about refunding

1 week ago

I appreciate your effort, Vahid. Thank you.
I totally understand.

1 week ago

Nice, thanks :D

1 week ago

The change is of particular concern to those players in regions where it's not possible to sign-up for a PSN account. An earlier comment from Arrowhead had suggested that such players should sign-up to PSN for a region other than that which they reside, but doing so would actually breach Sony's own terms of service.

Why the rocket scientists at Sony didn't think of that before announcing that change speaks wonders about how much they care about customers in those regions.

1 week ago

I think they did think of it and their conclusion was "we already got their money, they can't refund so screw them"...

1 week ago

It's sad but it's Sony being Sony

1 week ago

Like when they installed rootkits (they pirated software to make) on users' computers that couldnt be uninstalled. Then released an "uninstaller" that installed additional software that collected email addresses allowed remote access and wasnt uninstall friendly.
That Sony?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

1 week ago*

Yikes

1 week ago

Its clear they want more PSN users, but why not offer some crazy cosmetic or some other shit for linking PSN account. Instead they wake up and chose violence, by showing their PSN fist in peoples throats, pissing their customers and making it so some people cant play anymore(after it goes live). They had awesome thing going and now their review score is going down, they literally stoped selling H2 on steam in some regions and they efectivly losing money because of refunds.

Its outstanding how hard they fucked it up.

It really reminds me of this scene from Breaking Bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i6eVY0QoiA

1 week ago*

It's a shame.
Even if they reverse this, the game is mortally wounded.

Feel bad for the Devs. Looking forward to their next game.

Sony is killing a golden goose.
Some Psychopathic "Peter principle" executive at Sony really fucked this up.
I'm sure they want to Data to use with AI. This should have been opt in with an optional cosmetic.

Yet another reason to support indie dev's that don't charge much and don't sell out.
Look at the VLC guy. He could sell out for millions, easy. He refuses.
(To be clear, IDK if these dev's sold out, Don't know them at all.)

1 week ago*

Maybe,. but they aren't completely blameless.
And the community reps are snarking their way to lose a job as well.
They've also stated they knew the mandatory PSN stuff was coming over 6 months ago.

1 week ago

That sucks.
I don't know the facts though, I don't want to defend the Devs. But they spent (seven years?) of their life to make this game.

Community reps come in three flavors.

1. Vague/Useless
  2. Shit.
  3. Beloved and about to get fired/quit.
1 week ago

They've also stated they knew the mandatory PSN stuff was coming over 6 months ago.

Everyone should, it was listed on the page before release, and relaxed early only for stability reasons (stability being the text of every PlayStation console update patch notes) but never removed from the page.

Players with no support for the service in their country absolutely shouldn't be screwed over by this, but it was also never a secret surprise that only showed up now, either.

1 week ago

142k negative reviews on 3 days. On those same 3 days, only 3% reviews have been positive.

The biggest the corporation is, the shittier their decisions are.

1 week ago

185k already

1 week ago

248k lol.

1 week ago

That's total, related ones just passed 200k

1 week ago

I kind of hope more people will speak up/vote with their money when big corporations/management want to be shitty like this.
The game industry has been treating customers so poorly these few years :/

1 week ago

it's reportedly the seventh highest grossing Sony published game of all time

That's really saying something, especially since the game has only been out for 3 months. Whoever green-lit this decision is a greedy fool.

Gotta love Sony/Playstation. They've been shitting the bed since late 2006, and they still haven't figured it out.

1 week ago

MS screwed crapbox in 2012 worse, leaving no competition, + too many fanboys throwing money at them, first time a lesson happens since the ps3 disaster

1 week ago

MS screwed crapbox in 2012 worse

Yeah, that was a crazy E3. That game sharing commercial in response from Sony is legendary. 😎

Really wish things had gone differently though. Playstation was at it's best when they had something to prove. Making a name for themselves with the PSone and PS2, and playing catch-up with the PS3. Now the unique & varied library is gone and all they seem to care about it western blockbusters. :(

1 week ago

All I can do is laugh at the whole stupidity of this situation. At which point did they think this was acceptable after selling the product? This should be a class action lawsuit. Easy way to kill a title and make sure helldivers 3 will never stand a chance as long as it comes from any connection of sony's. Why would anyone buy helldivers 2, or again any of the future titles, knowing they would do this?

It's always corporate brainrots who think they're in to something that are so off mark it makes the distance from here to the edge of the explorable universe short. There should be a law if you get let go for bad performance, fired, etc. as a ceo coo, executive ass smeller or something in a high enough position in any company , you should not be allowed to apply again for a ceo position for 30 years. Because all these rats do is hop from one spot to another with no useful ideas, they never bring anything of value there and by the time they finally let go the place is always in a worse standing.

I mean let's be honest, we know this wasn't the idea of a gamer who's trying to do something good for the community, and the goal here is for sony's psn to get as many people to use their useless platform and steal steam user data and maybe convince them to buy that shitty useless hardware(a ps whatever) that's extinct and outdated the day it comes out and gets worse with every single second. It isn't rocket science sony, we know what you're up to, you're just like every other slimy scammer we avoid when they try to steal our inventory just big scale, but no thanks, I ain't buying that garbage nor am I subbing to your stupid psn plans, and psn clubs, and psn hoes, I wouldn't take it for free and you clearly can't afford normal anyways. So maybe like Take-two you need some financial advisors cause it seems your expenses are wasteful and that's why you're so desperate for every dollar.

1 week ago

I'm not a huge fan of 'review bombing' in general but I think this one is definitely warranted. I have no stake in this game in particular but adding a mandatory 3rd party account requirement after the fact is a terrible move.

Even if it was a day one thing it wouldn't be great but at least people would know what they're getting into and could choose whether or not to buy it.

1 week ago

I don't think it's 'review bombing' . Sony unveiled a PRETTY important fact about the game, not about anything else, and the community is reacting accordingly. Review Bombing would be if people reacted to Stellar Blade censorship, or something.

1 week ago

Sure, I could be using the wrong term. I do think it's a valid reason to do ... whatever they're doing. I consider it the same thing though, overwhelming the store page with negative reviews, whether it's justified or not, I just haven't heard a better term for it.

1 week ago

The mandatory 3rd party account requirement was there since day 1, it just wasn't mandatory due to some server issues or something.

1 week ago

So it wasn't mandatory then, then got changed into mandatory.

1 week ago

It was, just wasn't enforced due to server loads.

1 week ago

If it's not enforced, and they selling the game in regions it's not possible, it's not mandatory. More like a guideline *insert Pjrates of the Caribbean gif here*

1 week ago

And now it's not mandatory again 🤔

1 week ago

the funny thing is that the community managers (sony bootlickers) were blaming this on the players and now are "trying" to change the agreement with sony, yeah sure

1 week ago

240.000 negative comments and %15
ashhaahahahasakjdhgusahdÄąuahsÄą

1 week ago

As a person who is related to a former Sony employee and who has some of the SONY consoles, the way they shoot themselves in the feet tragicomic. Their games sell well and then decide it's a good time to introduce PSN restrictions, throwing their success story down the drain.

I have never owned either Helldiver game, but I can shill for Isonzo and Verdun, even if they are niche multiplayer games.

1 week ago

Game gets insanely popular and hyper to heavens despite:

• Requirements + the fact that PSN is strictly limited to mostly first world coutnries
  • Needing a kernel-level rootkit anticheat to work
  • Needing a constant internet connection to publisher servers
  • DRM x2 (Steam, PS App)

BUT... having to create another account? OvErWhelMinglY NeGaTiFe

Help me understand, Its a Games as a service type of game, what did the players HONESTLY expect? To own the product and be able to play it whenever? Really?

1 week ago

BUT... having to create another account? OvErWhelMinglY NeGaTiFe

lol, indeed. "I like installing rootkits and strange junk and being forced online, but I can't stand Evil PSN"

I'm not a fan of being forced to connect to account X, but let's just say it's not exactly the most concerning issue about that game. It's rather the cherry on top 👀
Maybe Sony thought that, since players accepted all the rest, one Sony account on top would slide in almost unnoticed. Can't blame them for trying. Maybe next time Overton's window will be right there, and we'll remember about this Helldivers 2 chaos as a memory of better times... 🤷

1 week ago

In the future Sony will "think" that players should pay a sub to access the servers for their multiplayer... They already do it on the PS4 and PS5 so it's only fair to also charge PC players for PS Plus. Having the account linking mandatory is the first step in this.

1 week ago

Well, what about people buying a hugely popular game, and being not able to play in a few weeks because they are not in a PSN-approved country? It's not like it was a change years later. Most countries in the world can't even get a PSN account.

1 week ago

Those countries haven't been on that list overnight. This isn't Sony's first PC game that needs it linked either. If you'll throw decent money at a product, you ought to research it, right? On the store, PSN is listed as mandatory requirement, this should have been in a bigger disclaimer box but it's all there.

In other words, imagine buying a honda vtec car without doing any research, then having a tantrum because it chugs down oil as if it runs on it.

1 week ago

This isn't Sony's first PC game that needs it linked either

name one

1 week ago

If tens of thousands of people around the world, from countries in not-PSN countries were buying without problem, and linking accounts for months were optional, it makes sense that people thought it was not required.

Sony itself had to make an announcement to warn that it was changing to mandatory. Steam itself is allowing refunds because they consider that Sony changed the terms of the deal.

1 week ago

AFAIK the PSN requirement was shown when the game launched? It didn't say it was optional, it said Required. Again, research what you buy? Or don't, anyone that respects their money would see rootkit + always online and never come within 1 centimeter of such a product.

1 week ago

They should never have been sold in such countries in the first place. Sony rectified this now by delisting it from our stores, but the damage is done. The least they can do is refund us for their own oopsies.

1 week ago

True, but I think there should also be a complimentary apology gift, not that that would change anything. Laws aren't "broken" until a crime has been reported.

1 week ago

It's not worth debating corporate apologetics.

Region locks aren't something new. Purchase restrictions should have been in place from day 1, not 3 months later. The fact that the game has been suddenly delisted in over 100 countries and refunds are being issued via Steam despite not meeting the 2 week, 2 hour requirement really speaks volumes of this entire fiasco. The PSN account requirement is nothing more than the pot spilling over after a good decade of being subjected to anti-consumer nonsense.

1 week ago

The thing is, customer laws actually says the opposite of what you defend. You seem to believe corporations have the right to do any weird shit, and if it affects customers in a massive scale customers should get fucked . But customers law at least in the European union, where consumers have more rights, say that you can't actually so this. If it's sold to countries without PSN, Sony can't just say "oooohhhhhhhh. Too bad. You are screwed. You should have researched more".

Personally I support customers rights there. Even I'm European countries with PSN, Sony can get in trouble, if the EU considers they didn't do enough diligence in informing customers.

1 week ago

Why defend stupid behavior on the company's side? If they just didn't sell the game in the first place to people who wouldn't be able to play in a short time, which Sony knew full well was going to happen, that problem wouldn't have happened in the first place. Sony allowed the problem to happen in the first place when they could have easily prevented it. They're the one that deserves most of the blame.

It's also crappy that they're excluding people in over 100 countries from playing a sequel to a very popular game, which the original did not have this requirement and worked absolutely fine, and Sony didn't even make the game. They just came in and crapped on anyone in a not PSN country, for a game they didn't even develop, because they could. Not to mention, the devs for the game do not like this and are not in support of it one bit.

Do you think that's good behavior? Is that something you would like or be okay with it was you being excluded from playing a sequel to a game you liked, and you wanted to play the sequel too? I don't get people defending this.

1 week ago

No, I'm not defending Sony. I'm just saying that everyone is acting up at this point when they could and should have done so before buying the game since it has so many red flags that it's really crazy how nobody, and I mean, nobody called them out for it while the game came with a very nasty rootkit, always online requirement and having no offline options or DRM-free executable.

My point is, let's say the bonfire has been lit. People don't like or want the bonfire. They could have complained when the bonfire was being set up - they didn't. They could have complained when gasoline was brought to lit it. They didn't. Now when bonfire is burning, now everyone is "omg they actually did it" Like really? No sh*t sherlock.

Seriously. This game is a looter shooter, coop tps game. Was NOTHING learned from Marvels Avengers, Suicide Squad and that other Gotham game that is so irrelevant I even forgot what it's called? No. Everyone gave Sony their money despite literally being shoved the worst rootkit malware on a kernel level, always online drm etc down their throat. Reddit was in full glory, frontpage posts about this AMAZING game that is dead as soon as Sony feels like taking offline the servers. I have zero sympathy for ppl that support these practices by buying the said game and encouraging these evil corpos to keep doing what they do. And Sony? I couldn't care less about them or any other corpo. I wish they didn't exist but it's not up to me so yeah.

1 week ago

1 week ago

The refunds and delisting from certain regions helped too, i guess. Is this democracy manifest?

1 week ago

Proof that "speak with your wallet" does work. Now when will people stop buying EA/Ubisoft games until they make some changes, I wonder...

1 week ago

I do that now, and it has been ages. But it seems we are not enough.

Honestly I can't even understand how Ubi Soft is still in business with their hellish management.

1 week ago*

🤷‍♂️

1 week ago

Review bombing and refunds worked.

1 week ago

Review bombing and refunds worked.

1 week ago

Great news actually, quite surprising to be honest but good nonetheless!

1 week ago

I misunderstood your point when you said people should do their own research. My bad. I had just seen a bunch of people on twitter saying stuff like "it takes a few seconds to make an account, what's the big deal," and really bad stuff like "if you're in a country that doesn't have psn just change your country when you make an account, it's not that hard" which would be violating the terms of service and leave someone at risk of losing everything they bought if they ever get found out. I guess I was too easily assuming that someone was defending Sony at that point.

At least it turned out like it should, amazingly. As long as they stick to it.

I had a laugh at "We’re still learning what is best for PC players". More like "We’re still learning what PC players will let us get away with."

1 week ago

No offense taken. Also while they're "learning" about PC players, they should learn not to use rootkit as protection from "cheaters". If games like Warframe can do without it, I'm sure a game from a multi trillion dollar company can do without one too. Either way, it's a small W for those that bought the game, rarely does this happen in this rotten industry tbh lol

1 week ago

My guess is Sony wants to force ps plus subscription to play helldivers online in the future and this is just a start. I hope that I am wrong.

1 week ago

I don't think they would be that dumb, my guess would be that they want better integration with all of their PC services since they are introducing trophies as well as bringing PSVR2 to PC.

1 week ago

The idea now is to sell more PlayStations.

There are countries where you can buy Helldivers 2 but to be able to create a PSN account you also have to buy a PlayStation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Asmongold/comments/1ck9p2a/psn_told_ukraine_helldivers_2_player_theyll_need/

1 week ago

No they probably needed more PSN accounts to increase their valuation as a company. With online services, the value is mainly in the number of members in the network due to the Network Effect. This is where the more people there are in a network (in this case PSN), the higher the value of the product. It also makes people less likely to switch networks due to the switching cost, usually it's financial (like having to pay high cancelation fees), but it can also be psychological like if all your friends have PSN accounts and play PSN games, you're less likely to switch to XBox as the "price" (not being able to play with your friends) is too high. A product manager (or exec) probably saw the number of people online on steam and wanted their valuation to include that. While I agree it was a corporate decision, I do not believe it's to charge people, it's to get millions of more accounts on PSN.

1 week ago*

What a dumb way to kill a successful game. To some extent I can see why they want people to sign up to PSN and they did explicitly say that it was going to be a requirement, but selling the game in countries where PSN isn't even available and then pulling the rug from under those customers might actually be a crime in some places. Not to mention that now the Helldivers brand is gonna be treated like radioactive waste by a large chunk of the gaming public, Sony just took out a shotgun and blew up an entire leg and now it's confused about why it cracked its skull against the ground.

1 week ago

They are just preparing the ground something similar to this.

1 week ago

Well, I don't think it will affect the game much. People will still play it unless they are from those countries.

1 week ago

Buying option on Steam for countries where PSN isn't available has been deactivated and according to unconfirmed info from YT Steam offers refunds no question asked to license holders (a.k.a game owners) in those countries.

1 week ago

It was all on the store page. I read the store page, as I do with every purchase.

The problem I have was that it was purchasable in those 177 countries where PSN was not available.

1 week ago

It wasn't on the store page, it was added to the store page.
Sony backtracked now anyway.
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1787331667616829929

1 week ago

This was on the store page at the time of purchase.

Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: nProtect GameGuard

Requires 3rd-Party Account: PlayStation Network (Supports Linking to Steam Account)

Requires agreement to a 3rd-party EULA
HELLDIVERS™ 2 EULA

1 week ago

It was on the store page when I bought it, and yes I know they backtracked.

5 days ago

Community won, Sony backtracked.

Back to the void I go.

1 week ago

Yep, just read that as well. Hopefully it doesn't hurt Arrowhead any more than their (Sony's) stupidity already has.

1 week ago

Democracy prevails once again!

1 week ago

I've been playing this game since release with crossplay and I want to say playstation players are very friendly, more and more friendly than pc players.

1 week ago

KInda late to the party, this update has been cancelled.

1 week ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.