"Earlier this week, Helldivers 2 players on PC were told that they'd soon need to link their Steam account to a PlayStation Network (PSN) account. Two days later and the game has received 100,000 new negative reviews on Steam.

What's more, developers at Arrowhead have made several statements to say that they're on the players' side.

"Ouch, right in the review score," tweeted Arrowhead game Studio's CEO and creative director Johan Pilestedt. "Well, I guess it's warranted. Sorry everyone for how this all transpired. I hope we will make it up and regain the trust by providing a continued great game experience. I just want to make great games!"

When Pilestedt made that comment yesterday, Helldivers 2 still had a 'Mostly Positive' user review rating on Steam, with a 'Mixed' rating based on reviews just from the past two weeks. As of the time of writing this post, the overall rating is now Mixed - indicating only 59% positive reviews - and recent reviews are Mostly Negative.

Internal discussions are ongoing about the mandatory linking change and while I can't reveal details, the response from our dev teams has been pretty universally negative and we're looking for better options," wrote Arrowhead community manager Spitz on the Helldivers Discord (as shared by Reddit user Navar4477).

Spitz also said that the decision and announcement were carried out by Sony, not by Arrowhead themselves.

Players object to the requirement to link their PSN accounts for a range of reasons, from the basic inconvenience to more general data collection and privacy concerns. The change is of particular concern to those players in regions where it's not possible to sign-up for a PSN account. An earlier comment from Arrowhead had suggested that such players should sign-up to PSN for a region other than that which they reside, but doing so would actually breach Sony's own terms of service.

"If a better solution isn't provided for players who are in regions without PSN coverage, I'm assured that we won't be making the requirement mandatory for those players," wrote Spitz. "We're not going to force people to either break Sony TOS or not play the game."

Sony have brought more and more of their games to PC in recent years, typically years after their initial console exclusive release. Helldivers 2 is a little different, in that they're publishing the game and it's developed by a third-party studio they don't own, and it was released on PC and PlayStation platforms simultaneously. That cross-platform release is part of why it has been such a huge success; it's reportedly the seventh highest grossing Sony published game of all time, with more than half its sales on PC. It's also just a great game.

All of which makes it a real big dumb shame that the experience is being tarnished for players by an unnecessary account requirement."

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/helldivers-2-has-received-100000-negative-reviews-since-announcing-players-must-link-steam-to-a-psn-account

https://store.steampowered.com/app/553850/HELLDIVERS_2/

3 weeks ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Let's check out the bouncebackability of it.

3 weeks ago

I didn't expect Sony to backpedal. Is this the first time they bend the knee like this?

Kudos to the community.

3 weeks ago

Sony do all kinds of shit, just because they can get away with it. But when it starts suddenly affecting the bottom line, then heads start rolling.

Helldivers went from 7th most sold game in history to a shit show with tens of thousands of people refunding and giving negative reviews.

The reaction of the pc community is the reason we have free multi-player in all our games, while the Playstation crowd has to pay just to play online.

3 weeks ago

Not the first time.

They did also make a U-turn about banning EU players form EQ2 US servers back in 2012, but then it took them months to change their mind and it's been already way too late for EQ2 to recover.

3 weeks ago

I heard about that one. At least it seems they learned something from that, that they have to be fast or it will be unrecoverable.

3 weeks ago

I don't think they learned anything. The bad press, negative reviews, and refunds were piling on so fast and strong it was clear they had to do damage control asap or it would just keep getting worse fast. If they weren't getting so many refunds, and for people who even had over a hundred hours, it's very unlikely they would have responded so soon. It probably would have been halfhearted when they did respond too.

3 weeks ago

That is also a possibility for sure.

3 weeks ago

Reviews diving harder.

3 weeks ago

No it's going back up. Went from mostly negative to mixed and climbing.

3 weeks ago

Yup, recent reviews were even at "Overwhelmingly Negative" at one point, so it's a pretty quick turnaround. But I think snow0815 was making a joke about Helldivers reviews diving.

3 weeks ago

No I get the joke I just was saying that it's actually improving.

3 weeks ago

Now let's wait for the commit in SteamDB and we change the review.

3 weeks ago

happy cake day.

3 weeks ago

This is how I imagine SONY's leadership to be. Them attempting that path in the first place, then seeing the outbursts and then not holding their ground like saying "sorry we tried to take advantage of you all and it didn't work out. sorry that it didn't work out for us, not that we realize it was a stupid thing to do".

3 weeks ago

Reviews currently at 70%. Been climbing back up for the past 20 hours. Nice.

3 weeks ago

Not really, nice. Sony has blocked all users from countries not supported by PSN.

2 weeks ago

I know, that message is outdated.

2 weeks ago

Epilogue Sony pulls off the same shit now with Ghost of Tsushima which might be more successful for them as there's a smaller player base.

3 weeks ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.